Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Easy Big Scrappy Variation Rolling Stone Quilt Block

 
It was about time I started a scrap project.  I have seen this block around quite a bit lately so I wanted to try my own scrappy version of it.  It is a traditional block called Rolling Stone.  Mine above finishes at a large 21 inches!  I will only need 6 of these lovelies to make a lap quilt.
I decided just to use blue scraps in this block and I will likely make the other 5 blocks a different colour each ... although Wow I think all blue would look pretty too.  I don't often use white in my quilts, but I love how fresh and clean the white with polka dots looks here as the background.
-
So, do you want to make 1 or more too?  It's easy!  Here's all you need.
The little blocks making up the one big finished block are 4 inches each.  You will need to make 12 HST blocks that have scraps on both halves.  Then 16 HST blocks that are a piece of scrap on one half and the background fabric on the other half.  Then you will need to cut 8 squares of background fabric.  This gives you 36 blocks total ...

 This was just my little sketch I made to guide me. Anyway, you can likely see in it how I arranged things, or you can easily tell in the photo below.
 Fast, easy, fun!
I think I'll make a green one next ... although the idea of another blue one is very tempting ...
-
Posted by Riel Nason

7 comments:

Claddaughquilting said...

Very sweet! You should do one in every color!! :)

Pam @ Quilting Fun said...

Love it!

Pokey said...

I like it, and the photos sure helped break it down. Thanks for the share!
:-}pokey

Kat said...

I love you scrappy blocks! The blue is my favourite, and I love the scrappy, yet controlled colour in the blocks. This one will be added to my list of "have to makes!" I made a baby/mom cuddle quilt with the same idea that the scraps are all in one colour way in each block (using the Missing U pattern from the book, Sunday Morning Quilts), and it is one of my favourites. I can't wait to see your finished quilt! An orange block, perhaps?

Riel Nason said...

Thanks so much! There is definitely an orange block on the list as long as I can find enough scraps!

Lisa J. said...

These are really nice blocks. I have some blocks that are 1/2 square triangles along with a blue background kicking around in my sewing room. This might be a good use for them.

Carolyn said...

Thanks so much. You made this look like a good block to try. Love the idea of different colors. Spring colors...a must.