Thursday, September 1, 2011

Halloween Selvage Spiderweb Wallhanging in Progress

 So here's what I was up to yesterday -- a little project combining both Halloween and selvages.  It still needs an outer border but so far it's been fast and fun to make. 
-
I'm quite pleased with it, although being 100% honest, I think my spiderweb is a bit too free form and wacky.  I thought if I made it kind of crooked and random it would look spookier and more Halloween-y.  I guess it kind of does.  But real spiderwebs are actually very symmetrical, as I had a wander around our yard to look at some webs before I made this.  I think mine looks like my spider may have been drinking some beers before attempting the web-spinning.
 I have been saving these black selvages for the perfect project.  Nancy from our guild gave them to me along with a massive pile of selvages a while back.  I love the white writing.  I stitched them down with black thread.  The spider body is a 1 inch hexy.  The eyes in the middle of the hexy are actually a fussy cut bat from some Halloween fabric I had.
 I left quite a bit of space between selvages so I can echo quilt in there.
 Here is a process photo.  I drew the lines with pencil first.  And then, for the first time I tried using glue stick to hold the selvages down before I sewed them.  It was SO much easier this way.  Before I just held them with my hand.  Never again now. 
-
If you would like to try to make a project like this, you can follow my Selvage Snowflake Tutorial.  I used the same method; I just drew a web instead of a snowflake. 
 These are my border fabrics.  They should really add some colour!
  Thanks for stopping by!
-
Fresh Sewing Day
-
Posted by Riel Nason on The Q and the U

31 comments:

Chiska said...

You could always call it "Spider in Space." One of the experiments that NASA did in the earlier days (I don't really know WHEN) was to take spiders up to see what they would do in space. Their initial webs were very wonky.
I LOVE yours! I really am going to try this one day once I get enough selvedges collected.

Osage Bluff Quilter said...

That is OVER the top in cuteness!
Patti

Sheila said...

Really cute idea , you were lucky to have the black selvages .

Needled Mom said...

That is adorable!!!! I love it.

BijouxBaby said...

I love this more than I can say!

PrettyMade said...

Cute! :D And this coming from an araknophobe... :D

(Your spider DOES look a bit like having had a few before spinning... Something about the eyes... ;))

Amy said...

Super cute!

Live a Colorful Life said...

This is so amazingly cute!!! Do you know the fabric line of the dots you are using in the border?

Deborah said...

So cute! I love seeing what you come up with!

beth said...

Fun. FUn!

2MuchFun said...

I love it!!!!!

My Sweet Prairie said...

Did you link it? Oh please go link it to http://needleandthreadnetwork.blogspot.com Link up for the week is open until noon. : )
~Monika in Saskatoon

Annie said...

OMG! I so have to try making one of these! (one of these days) I love this idea, I love your imagination!

Chicken Julie said...

I love this so much - the wonkyness is perfect and I can't wait to make one of these for myself. Thanks (again) for the amazing inspiration!!

Riel Nason said...

:-) Lovin' the great response to this! If anyone else is wondering like Cindy did about the dot fabric, it is Jungle Babies by Northcott. It also comes in truquoise.

Barb said...

How creative and original! Love it!

Brenda said...

PERFECT!!! That is what I thought of when I saw the web and spider!! And it is perfect!!! I am just starting to save selvages, and seeing things I can do with them, and I LOVE THIS!!!!

(I am so glad I found your blog. Just found it the other day, and it so much fun to look through!!!)

Pat V. said...

Oh, this is wonderful! I love it!

Suzanne said...

Isn't it great what a glue stick can do? I don't care what you say about the wonkiness of that spider web. If you turn your back and I'm around, that web and its dweller might just secretly crawl over to my house.

Sue said...

too cute... I want to make one too.

Sue

Laura said...

Oh my goodness, I love it. I will be making one, (I hope you don't mind). It is so so cute.

Crystal Hendrix said...

I think it looks so wonderful! You did an amazing job! I like the web the way it is, perfect for Halloweenn!

Lynne said...

Very cute, Riel!

DeVona said...

Some web! I love it, and think it looks just right!

Hands Sew Full said...

It looks great Riel! Wonky or not, it is very Halloween!

felicity said...

Perfectly wonky and spooky in my opinion. I LOVE your spiderweb!

Kelli said...

Oh my. LOVE. Love this! :)

Canadian Kristin said...

Beers and selvages and spiderwebs, oh my! Wasn't that party!!! :-) Love it, Riel. Again, love what you do with those little bits of scraps! I can just imagine these hanging from every window frame in your house!

Studio Christine said...

AWESOME!!

Tonya Ricucci said...

it's fantastic just the way it is. woohoo!

liniecat said...

Inspirational lol just luv it lol