Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Completed Selvage Mummy Quilt



 Here he is.  All done.  And all done 100% by me -- even the quilting!  Yay!
-
Click any photo to enlarge.
I wanted the quilt to say something to add to the fun/whimsy. So it is "Mummy Wants Fabric." The Mummy wants fabric since he needs the selvages from them to stay wrapped up ... and of course this Mommy (me) Wants Fabric (I mean who doesn't, right?). I explained it out to the kids and Eli understood the concept of a double meaning. And now it is funny to see them pretend to be mummies with their arms out chasing each other around and chanting "Mummy Wants Fabric."


 You can see the quilting here.  It is far from perfect but I think I did a good job for my first try doing anything other than straight lines.  I am very happy with how it turned out and I am glad didn't back-off from doing it myself or from trying to do something a bit more ambitious than usual.
 Although I had practiced a bit with my free-motion foot, I ended up just using my regular sewing machine foot (in the picture above).  I feel more in control with the regular foot on.  I don't have a walking foot, but I may get one sometime.   I did a freestyle pointy zig-zag stipple.  I used a neon pink thread.   
 I used Halloween fabrics in the border and the baby mummies are in the corners.
I kept true to my word of keeping it small (ish).  It is about 46 inches square.  It will be used as a wallhanging for Halloween.
-
And I must say thanks so much for all the kind comments and encouragement I got during the making of this.  It really adds an element of fun for me to know that fellow quilters are following along, and that there are other people who don't think I'm crazy with all this selvage stuff. ;-)  It makes me want to make another selvage quilt.  And then another ... and ...
-
Thanks for stopping by!
-
Since this guy is made of all my favourite bright Halloween colours I'm linking up with the Celebrate Color linky!  I'm also linking to The Needle and Thread Network and Made by You Monday
-
Posted by Riel Nason on The Q and the U
Follow on Bloglovin

41 comments:

Clare said...

I love it! Congratulations on a wonderful wonderful quilt.

piece peace said...

BRAVO! What a fantastic quilt! Thank you so much for sharing it.

Teje said...

Wow Riel, 'Mommy wants fabrics' is fantastic! Great desing, fabrics, colours - everything! Really unique and special!
xxx Teje

Amy said...

It is awesome! Love your quilting too!

The Cozy Quilter said...

This is one wonderful quilt! I just love it! I am saving selvages to make another selvage quilt...not sure what I will do yet. Thanks for sharing your creativity with us.

Tina said...

Wow, Riel, it's fantastic! The words are great. So what holiday is next on your list?

Suzanne said...

Riel, the realistic wrappings of the mummy and the movement of the fiery background are incredible. Congrats on a spooktacular finish!

Stray Stitches said...

Congrats on a fantastic finish!!! It's spooktacular :)

Annie said...

You blow me away with your selvage quilts! I love them all and your imagination to put them together. The quilting is fabulous! I use my walking foot for my own straight line quilting...even when I don't quilt in a straight line. I don't like doing free motion. Mummy is fabulous Riel!

M-R said...

Riel, that is fantastic! I love it! Great, great job with it. I'm having a linky party on Friday for recent finishes. Why don't you link this one up?

Anita in Florida said...

Fantastic quilt! You did a wonderful job.

Lori said...

You are truly amazingly creative! I have been enjoying him for weeks, and the finished quilt is just right; fabric, quilting, and really what could be a better idea for selvages! thanks for sharing!

Sara @ Sew Sweetness said...

I my gosh, that is so freaking cool!!

My Sweet Prairie said...

That is hysterical!!!

: )

oh you should find a noise activator thingy that will growl and whine when someone pushes a button - or a motion sensor

LOL

wicked!

~Monika
sewing in Saskatoon

cOto.patchwork said...

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!
It's beautiful! And very funny. And lovely!

mblittle5 said...

I LOVE it!!! Your quilting is really great. I do highly recommend the walking foot for ease of quilting, but I wouldn't have known you didn't use free motion if you hadn't said so. Good job!!

Terri said...

Sew much fun! Love the double meaning, and that you put the words on there in salvages. Good job.
Hugs,

Jen said...

Love it! It's so bright and happy. I really love the orange background. It makes those selvages pop! Another fab finish :)

Allegory said...

That is absolutely fabulous. I want one!

Sofia L said...

You did an amazing job. I started following your blog so I could see it when it was completed. I LOVE IT!

Rachel said...

It is AWESOME! You did an amazing job on all of it. The quilting is the perfect accent. Well done, my friend!

LynCC said...

This is simply, and completely, awesome!!!

Sheila said...

Wow it is wonderful , so unique and a lot of selvages , great job!!

Linda said...

He is wonderful!! I love him. What a great job you did with the quilting too. I see a blue ribbon in his future!!

Cathy said...

Fabulous! Mwa ha ha!!!

mainer said...

You should mass market that!

Jessica Nichols said...

What an amazing idea for a quilt! This is truly an original quilt design, and I love the pun! I would love to see a tutorial for this quilt.

HollyM said...

It's very creative. I love it. Is it in the show this week? I sent something but I'm unable to get to see it.

Diane D. said...

This is really great - I love it!

Lynne said...

Cool!! I love it!

Julierose said...

Got to luv the Mummy--I have begun to save selvedges (I used to (gasp!!) throw them away!!) Your site is awesome

Vesuviusmama said...

Your mummy is AWESOME! I'm curious, though, about how you did FMQ stipple with your regular foot. Did you stop and pick up the presser foot each time you wanted to turn a corner? I tried FMQ with a Darning Foot last week, and I am still having horrible flashbacks. I need more control, too.

liniecat said...

Great fun and a feat of mathematical and creative engineering lol Loved the spider quilt too :)

Tonya Ricucci said...

Woohoo, such a fun quilt! you did a great job - congrats! love it

Jeannette said...

That has to be the most creative use of selveges I've seen! Love!

Priscila said...

Oh my goodness! This is gorgeous!

What Comes Next? said...

What a fabulous quilt! I love it!

Kelli said...

All I can say is AMAZING. End of story. Great job!

Live a Colorful Life said...

this is my favorite selvage quilt. Ever. It is beyond fabulous!

P.S. I got notification from Amazon that your book is in the mail. Yippee--I'm so excited!

Cindy Neidt said...

So fun, I agree with the "Live a Colorful Life", this is the best salvage project I've seen.

Bonnie said...

While looking through new quilt magazines yesterday (5/24/12) I saw the article about your selvage quilts.

I just couldn't contain myself from walking up to everyone at JoAnn's and showing them the article. Your mummy is the funniest thing I've seen in ages!

You have a great imagination and thank you for sharing it with the rest of the world.