Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Sunday, March 28, 2010
Thursday, March 25, 2010
Tuesday, March 23, 2010
As to making it, I used my freestyle technique (ha, ha, I use that term sooooo loosely) of just making the Ts of various sizes with various borders and positions within the blocks. All blocks were then squared to 12.5 inches. I had most of the fabrics chosen when I started, but had to add some in as I went to make sure I had enough overall. I made the first 25 blocks without worrying too much about anything balancing as far as colours, size, fabric dispersion and position of the T within the block, but for the last 10, I looked at what I had so far and made the rest more purposefully, trying to come up a reasonable variety overall.
The quilting was done by my local quilt shop (Thanks again Tina!) on a long-arm machine. It is done in a rich gold thread which is great with the fabrics.
Anyway, this was a really fun quilt to work on, and I am fortunate that T is probably one of the easiest letters to make. If my daughter's name had started with S or R or W or K or B or ... it would have been a different story. I am also lucky my son's name starts with E, another very easy letter, as guess what is up next? See that "E Log Castle" quilt in the list of "Quilts in Progress" on the sidebar? Right.
Thursday, March 18, 2010
It was a great learning experience as I was constantly thinking about what pieces to cut and sew in what order, knowing I could only sew straight lines. It is completely pieced with no applique. I made eight randomly-sized blocks with no idea of layout, then realised if I made a ninth block and played with some frames on the blocks, I could get a uniform shape to put a border on. It is a twin-sized quilt.
Red sky at night, sailor's delight!
Figuring out how to do the little triangles on the tops took a while.
Those slashes across the sky were meant to be more dramatically crooked. Now they just look like I sewed wrong ;-)
The binding is a funky lime green with wavy stripes that I had used to represent grass in some of the blocks. I put it on and even did the corners okay, after looking at countless online tutorials. However, being a newbie, I didn't know about a "binding stitch" and sewed it regular. Something to try next time!