Sunday, October 3, 2010

Halloween Quilt Finish #1

This is my first Halloween quilt finished this year (2 more to go)! It is for my five-year-old son Eli.
I call it a Halloween I-Spy quilt, just because there is a lot to look at. There are 70 squares (8 inches each) and they are all different. (It does hang straight, it is just hanging on the kids' playgound set in the picture -- in front of the rope ladder ;-)
I used a mix of Halloween and regular fabric which I thought worked well. I stuck with all traditional Halloween colours on this one.

It is my own design, just a very straight ahead square-within-a-square type idea. Each block has a fussy cut center, which I then surrounded with 1-5 borders.

As I've mentioned here on the blog before, I love fussy cuts. One thing I did with this quilt was use a panel to fussy cut up to make some cool one-of-a-kind squares. I bought a fabric panel which was intended for making treat bags. There were six rectangular shaped scenes to use to make three bags with one scene on each side. The straps for the bags said "Trick or Treat." Well, a few rotary cuts later, you can see the "Trick or Treat" straps became borders in a square shown above. You can see as well in some of the other photos, the little scenes that would have been on the bags. I chose the best part of the design on them and fussy cut it out just like I would with any other fabric. I am really pleased with how it looks and I have bought other panels to fussy cut up in future quilts as well.

The square shown above was one of the first ones I made.

These pumpkins are on the back. The binding is a nice stripe, which I don't believe was sold as a Halloween fabric (it's an older fabric) but I love how it looks.

The quilt was quilted at my local quilt shop with an all-over stipple. It is a twin-sized quilt. My son will have it on his bed tonight. I have told him before that using a quilt I made him is like having a hug from Mommy as he sleeps. Well, he says since this is a Halloween quilt it will actually be like a goblin hugging him this time. Hmmmmmm. At least he's not scared. Now I have to get the binding done on my daughter's quilt.
-
On another note, I am getting lots of laughs out of reading the giveaway comments about Halloween. The creativity that goes with quilting definitely carries over to Halloween costumes!

18 comments:

Jorie said...

"a goblin hugging him" Hehe That is too cute!

This quilt is AWESOME! I absolutely love it, and I have a feeling that I will probably be hitting up the fabric stores after Halloween to pick up different prints when they go on clearance to stock up to make something similar for next year! It looks like it would even double as an I-Spy quilt (I see skeletons, pumpkins, witches, candy corn, etc!) that you two could play games with :)

Rachel said...

It's beautiful. You did such a nice job. I can't believe how much you get done. It's amazing! Well, actually, I CAN believe it.

I love Eli's comment about the goblin. Great imagination!

Patty said...

Your quilt is darling, I love it.

Littlebook said...

That is beautiful, very nicely done.

pixie13 said...

Very creative & so wonderfully done! I love it :)

Wandering Minstrel said...

That quilt is utterly wonderful! And your son is adorable, too.

Shelley said...

Riel, I just wanted to tell you that you have put fun back into quilting for me...the laugh out loud and smile kinda of fun!! I love the Halloween quilt and it's so fun "watching" you explore different fabrics and creating. Keep it up girl!

Sandra said...

You find the most amazing fabrics; I will have to shop where you do. (and I live near the US border, so I think I do....) You must buy up all the "bestest" fabric!!
(I need to buy it, when I see it!)

Weatherbee ;) said...

This quilt is amazing. I love it! I didn't think that I would like making a full size Halloween quilt, but seeing this totally changes my mind! I LOVE the way this looks! Great!...Now I'm going to have to start collecting Halloween fabrics! :)

~Teresa

Jen said...

This quilt is gorgeous! I totally love the business of it and how it is traditional Halloween colors. Fantastic job! That binding looks like it was made for this quilt!

Kelly Meanix said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I LOVE your Halloween quilt. I may have to make one like it!! It is so much fun to look at.

HollyM said...

Wow, you are fast! I like the fussy cut part of it and the colors are wonderful.

Canadian Kristin said...

LOVE these quilts! You are brilliant and when I get better at this quilting thing I am totally going to try and make a quilt like these!!!!! LOVE IT!!!!

Mary said...

Love it! Your fussy cutting really makes these turn out wonderful. Your sense of fun shows through in everything you make :-)

Faith Hope Cherrytea ~ said...

i'm correcting my previous no reply status, so hoping this now works for everyone! thx :)
tho' a comment to my blog does get emailed to me ~

sorry - couldn't post this iin your fall to fall comments & did want to make sure you could contact me :) THX !

princessteach said...

I love, love this quilt. I, really, need to make one for my classroom and my grand kids. Thanks for the inspiration.

Suzanne said...

It's amazing how fussy cuts can narrow the focus on what may be an overall busy panel or print. I love Halloween quilts!

Gmama Jane said...

I forgot to congratulate you on your debut Novel!! How impressive are you?? Sounds like you have had quite a writing heritage but this is your first Novel. I will most definitely order the book! I love to read and this looks very interesting. Where did you get the idea for the novel?
Blessings
Gmama Jane